Thursday, May 27, 2010

Dicing an onion - no crying allowed!

The Knife Skills Technique class was a great experience! Not only did I hone in on some techniques I already knew, but I learned the proper way to Brunoise and Batonnet. Will it make my cooking better? Well, not necessarily. But, I can assure you presentation is an important part of the culinary world. By taking a little extra time to properly cut the ingredients, you will have better results such as more evenly cooked vegetables and the right texture for things like salsas.

Of course, the whole process goes so much smoother with high quality knives. Making the investment for a knife made with a single piece of steel will give you years and years of good cutting. Sharpening the home chef's knives should be professionally done every 2 - 3 years and sharpening your blades prior to use with a small portable knife sharpener will keep them sharp and safe. Remember a dull knife is a dangerous knife.

Did you know there are goggles made to help reduce the dicer's tears? I put them to the test and they really work! The foam surrounding the rims helps keep the aroma away and the tears at bay. I made it through the onion tear-free and actually enjoyed dicing. I may not be the most fashionable chef, but the goggles made the task much more enjoyable. I loved them!

So next time you make a salad and want to add a pretty garnishment, remember there is a technique for that. Something as simple as "Fanning" a strawberry will make a beautiful finishing, edible touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment